Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Meds helping?

My boss will raise his voice to me. A year ago I would have walked off the job if someone would have spoken to me in this disrespectful way. But over the past year I have ben taking anti depressants which make me let go of my anger. It is there for about a minute or less and then I let go and move on. Is this good for me or am I just being a punching bag on meds?
Answer:
This is what people are supposed to do. And remember that the feeling of anger releases endorphins; therefore it can almost be addictive to want to get mad, especially when we are feeling threatened in any way. Most people are given the natural ability to maintain their emotions in relatively small scale fluctuation. Unfortunately you were not, and therefore you take meds; not to be numb to them but to not over exaggerate them. What is "normal" is to feel your feelings without your feelings overwhelming your behavior to the point where you don't act appropriately. It is ok to get upset but not to join that person in their demeaning behavior, which is childish and not productive. If you let someone else's anger effect your own emotions than you have let them 'win'. If you dismiss their anger, you 'win' because you are still calm and they are still angry, which would you rather be? Ultimately, the only person that can control you is you. Given what you said about past anger issues you just happen to need a little chemical help with this, but in the end it is your choice to either let someone else (who's obviously having a rough time of it) control your reactions/emotions, or choose to let that person go down that road alone.
It is a pr oven fact that anti-depressants work best in combination with therapy. Are you in therapy? I suggest going to talk to someone about your anger issues, and your boss. In therapy you will learn to understand what and why you're angry with your boss, and also therapy will give you tools to learn how to deal with it. Therapy is not a short term solution... it takes time AND work, but you may actually be able to reduce the amount of anti-depressant you are taking, or even go off completely, although some people do need to be on them full time.
im sure you can tell when someone is walking over all over you and you will retaliate but its sometimes benifical to take crap from some people. i think you have to find an outlet to get some stress off of you.
I have a temper too, but I would say to them that I felt they disrespected me. I wouldn't walk off the job, though. I guess it would depend on the circumstances. I hope you aren't a punching bag on meds- you can still stick up for yourself in a professional manner.
Do you work for my boss?

He yells too. But I decided I had to quit. I refuse to be treated that way.

Ask yourself if his behavior is affecting other parts of your life? Did you go on anti-depressants because of him? Are you unhappy?
Think about these issues and think about quitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net