Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Melancholia or anxiety?

I have always considered myself a melancholy person. I do not know any other state. It is so familiar to me that I can not imagine being otherwise. For that reason I have never remained on anti depressive medication for more than 6 weeks so I do not know how I would feel if I gave medication a chance. Doctors have diagnosed that I am clinically depressed and have been for years.
I got divorced and that brought more pain but much of the stress was related to circumstances. Lately I worry and obsess and while I want to talk with my doctor about it and try a new attempt at medication, I am wondering if perhaps I actually am suffering from anxiety and not depression.
What is the difference? How can I tell? I don't want to sound like a hypochondriac, but I need a sense of understanding about myself. I thought I could accept this. I feel like Wednesday from the Addams family. Suggestions?
Answer:
Hi there,

Melancholia is a state of mind, emotion, motivation and behaviour. Currently it refers to a depressive state. What you are experiencing does sound like typical anxiety symptoms with melancholia/depressive illness. The good news is you can be cured of this state, no matter how long you've been this way.

I know because I too had depressive illness with anxiety as well as other symptoms and have been cured of them all over time. It has taken me 14 + plus years of drug therapy, cognitive theory to change my thinking and improve greatly my self-esteem and self-love as well as fearful thoughts, phobia and panic. Labels are not something I necessarily believe in as a psychologist. What is important is a cure, a return to normalcy or a better mood and functioning in your case. All of this is possible for you. Believe me. What you must do is to be open to advice and be willing to try with your doctor(s). If one class of medications does nothing for you, try another. If you feel you can't change because you've always been this way, it is possible you won't. Now a significant feature of melancholia is negative thinking, pessimism, and self-blame. A feature of anxiety is heightened arousal (fight vs. flight) symptoms, phobia's, panic and a general feeling (beneath the surface of the mind) of irrational, intense and possibly chronic fear.

Your doctor(s) are the best person(s) to assist you in your need to get well and improve your motivations and positve outlook. It may take some time but please invest in yourself. You will need emotional, physical and financial support to overcome your feelings and that is exactly what medication and therapy targets. There are powerful medications out there and they do work. Try to find a psychiatrist %26 psychologist who you are comfortable with and who will listen and work with you while providing direction and necessary guidance. You also gotta do the work, investigate your disorder/illness research as much as as possible, in other words become your own expert and try never to give up. Only you and supportive family and friends can do it. So best of luck. Get going and stick with it. I hope this helps; you will get better. If you feel you need to say a prayer for yourself, God hears, understands and will assist you through it all, keep believing and positive and 'take' the advice given or it will be of no use to you. You must act.

I still choose to be on medication for now it's all going perfectly for me after so long. I now do not see my psychiatrist but continue to monitor my situation from time to time and continue to get and be open to medical advice.

Good luck,

Barry H
have a look on the NIMH they will give you the symptoms of both disorders/illnesses and that way you will have a clearer picture of what you think is wrong when you do talk to your doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net