Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Mental illness is the major cause of lost years out of a healthy life. What are your thoughts?


Answer:
I'm bipolar so I know what a devastating effect it can have on a person's life--suicidal thoughts, acting out on them, depressed to the point of not getting out of bed, etc.

Yet, is this any different than the years lost to a family that has to deal with domestic violence? The beatings, the lies, the father threatening the kids if they help their mother or try to get help will take a toll for years on them. Obviously there will be a degree of some kind of mental illness involved. It may be something as inocuous as incapacitation later on when trying to establish relationships.

There are so many other things that can cripple one's emotions--PTSD for our returning troops, post-partum depression, for example. While these are treated by mental health professionals, there is the distinct possibility the person can return to a normal life.

A schizophrenic may never regain lost years and actually continue to lose years throughout his/her life. Someone with Bipolar I or even II may live in a fog until the appropriate drugs are found to alleviate the symptoms.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'd rather have a recognized mental illness treated with psychotherapy by a qualified psychiatrist and medication than to lose years by having both legs removed because of poor eating habits/health care leading to diabetes or to be minimally aware of my surroundings from a brain injury.

Lost years cannot be replaced. Remaining years can be enhanced by enjoying what you missed during your suffering.

And, who is to say those years were lost? Throughout my worst depressions and hospitalizations I learned a lot about myself and the people I surrounded myself with. I learned how to get rid of the toxic ones and concern myself with me.
Are you saying that mental illness helps you die younger? Sure, that's probably true. Healthy life? Eh, I don't know how much about mental illness is a healthy life, hence the word illness.
I'm living proof. I haven't had a healthy life in years, due to depression, social phobia and traits of borderline/avoidant/dependant personality disorders.
I absolutely agree. Many times people don't even realize that they have a problem for several years. This is loss of valuable time in life--which surely is short enough.

Remember that alcoholism, eating disorders, drug addictions, and excessive stress are all within the mental health category--in addition, of course, to schitzophrenia, bipolar, depression, OCD, PTSD, panic and anxiety, ADHD, and the list keeps growing.

Someone dependent upon alcohol or drugs is truly losing a lot of time--that could have been used to reach for their goals and dreams. Basically, anyone with any type of mental disorder is losing valuable time until the time when they begin getting treatment.

Often, mental illness can cause physical illness--and visa-versa.
True, but it's never too late to live, as long as your'e not dead yet.
I don't believe I've ever met anyone who was not mentally ill, laboring under the weight of some delusion or another. Then I am called mentally ill for noting this, by the mentally ill I made note of. I can only conclude that I may be wiser to be more discrete when dealing with the inhabitants of this unhappy place.
I agree but I also know that I am the only one that can CHOOSE to try and change it. I have been in therapy for years and am getting a divorce from someone who brings me down. Things will not change overnight as they never do but I have hope. I have spent many miserable years trapped in my house with agoraphobia and depression among other things. If you suffer from this I do wish you the best~
Very true, but once it is given back you can only look forward and spend your time wisely. You learn as much as you lose, I believe. It makes you stronger, like any disease, when you come out of it.
Generally, you may lose years out of your life due to the direct and indirect effects of a mental illness, yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net