Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Mental Illness questions?

I have a 20 yr. old son that really has some issues and I'm worried for him. The following are some of the things he does: Won't ever get a job (always has a great excuse for this), thinks he's superior over everyone else, moves around living w/different friends (sleeps on the couch), mood swings like crazy. He loves to play mind games with everybody, especially me. Sometimes, I wonder the last time he even took a shower. He was brought up in a good home, I am a single mom, but he always had everything he needed. But, for the last 3 years or so, he seems like he's possessed or something. I did cut the string from him 2 yrs. ago to try tough love. But still he won't do anything with his life. He is starting to scare me. Should I just let him figure this out on his own? Is he sick or what's going on. He's really into that Goth kind of stuff. I know he's an adult but, I am his mother and care. HELP!!
Answer:
Sounds like my son, he is bipolar. You should send him to a counselor. It sounds like he is depressed and has no direction in life like mine. That is part of being bipolar. Yours might not be bipolar but he maybe depressed. He needs someone else to give him direction in life. My son is slowly getting there.
I'd suggest that you let him know you're worried and even suggest counselling/seeing a doctor and if he doesn't completely refuse, drive him to one and since he has no money, if you can, offer to help out in that area.
hes depressed
because he needs a dad in his life
true he has lived with out one so long
but maybe now theres things in his life that you dont know about and he needs a dad to talk to about them
i think you should take him and get some coucleing
It sounds like to me that he has depression...you should try to get him to talk to a doctor or a counselor.
They must have been talking about a mother's love when they said "love is blind". I understand that you love and care for him, but he has to grow up, get out on his own and make a life for himself.
Are you supplying him with spending money? Stop! Giving him free room and board? Stop! Making his life easier than your own? STOP! He's old enough.
If you can get him to a doctor and have him checked for manic depression, you should ask the doctor to do a urine test for drugs as well. There is more going on than just youthful laziness.
Be sure to take care of yourself, as I know this must be very draining.
This is a serious problem. I would advise you without going in detail you should take him to a psychiatrist urgently.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net