Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Mental "re-programming"?

I don't know about anyone else but I have often thought that I could use some "re-programming". There are some things I just don't like about myself and as much as I try, I have made little progress in several areas. Other areas such as alcoholism I have made huge strides and things are great there.

Has anyone heard of any therapy that can produce a type of mental re-programming that does not have adverse effects?
Answer:
Good for you for your success in your steps to stay sober. That is a remarkable feat and I am happy for you. As far as "re-programming", I am sure that most people would agree with that thought at one point or another. However, have you tried a behavioral counselor? Habits or doing certain things are a sort of a program when you get down to it. I think the trick might be to figure out WHY you do certain things so you can stop doing them. A little understanding on our actions usually goes a long way in avoiding them, OR approaching things in a different way. I guess I would call that re training yourself to act differently in different situations. I wish you the best of luck.
perhaps hypnosis is worth a try.
http://www.feelinggood.com
Dr David Burns has many good books, such as "The Feeling Good Book," to change negative thinking and habits to positive.
EMDR works for a many people. You need to work with a psychologist or licensed social worker who has received special training. I did this for a while and felt as though I got terrific results.
Maybe you could learn to grow up and accept what you don;t have the guts to change. If you really don;t like something about the way you are or act, then change it.
These types of self-esteem issues are generally best handled during adolescence. I think the best thing that you can hope for is finding a good therapist who can help you get to the root of your problem. It sounds like your issue with alcoholism could have been caused in part by those self-image issues.

Hypnosis may also help. My personal experience with it isn't very good, but of course everyone is different.

I hope you find the help you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net