Sunday, October 25, 2009

Kid with post traumatic stress disorder?

My daughter is 3 and has pstd. We just found out and she is in therapy. Any suggestion on how to handle it at home?? She has outburst and seems to lose control. I feel so helpless.. Her outburst can last any length of time and can be just crying or as bad as biting herself and hitting herself. They can start at anytime day or night and over anything. Even telling her no will prevoke one or if she gets her feelings hurt. I just wnat to help her but feel so lost.. please help
Answer:
not a doctor any thing in house? like gas burner? please do open windows in house jus a little bit tiny cross ventilation just tiny in winter also or atleast for few minuts.try know near what item, time, near where .realy not a doctor at all, but hey try finding out some clue,
i know what u go through. my nephew is nine and we found out when he was about 5 or 6 with the crying and out burst we usually send him outside or his room to chill out instead of him bitting himself he tries to kill him self he puts his hands around his neck or grabs knives he even tried to hang himself with a jump rope. thats when we step in and either put him in unit for a little which hurts really bad or we make him set in the living room on the couch till he chills out. we even talk to him we tell him that if he keeps on doing it he will really hurt himself and will go to the hospital and never come back.. try doing the things we do like time to their selves or talking to them in a calm voice
Poor you, and poorer kid. I have PTSD, too, so...

YOU need to talk to her therapist about what you can do, look for a support group for people supporting people with PTSD to learn how to best support her.

I'm in my 50's, as most of the guys in my group therapy, so it's hard to relate to conveying what I know helps me to help a 3 yo. Expect several variations. Some of us take walks. Some of us sit and name all the colors on everything in the room. Or describe everything in the room--red sofa, brown rug, pink walls, ceiling light, 3 windows with the shades half down and one with the shade all the way up. Some of us find hot or cold showers help. One guy would just run a cold shower and only soak his head (no, we never joked about "oh, go soak your head").

Basically, PTSD is reliving some past traumatic event, and the idea is to get her mind from that back to here and now.

Nightlights help--I have them all over my apartment, because I still have nightmares about my abusive childhood, and when I awaken in the middle of the night, being able to see I'm here, not there where I was dreaming, is a fast way back to here and now.

Schedule an appointment for you to talk to her therapist. Meanwhile, I've got you in my prayers, and tears in my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net