Saturday, October 31, 2009

Life support?

does anyone feel there should be a time limit on how long a person can stay on life support I.E. week, month,year, ten years...
Answer:
I think there should. If there is no hope, then why put them on. If there seems to be some hope, I say a month to see if they get better or worse. If no progress then maybe it's time for the family to let go of hopeful wishes.
it depends on the situation...if the doctor feels there is no brain activity...i would say week the very most
Agreed. If the brain is fried why wait. If it's me, disconnect ...
No, I think that is up to the patient (if they made their wishes known to family) or up to the family themselves if the wishes werent known to them.

Anything can happen. And medicine is NOT an exact science. I dont believe it should ever be up to the doctors, or other medical professionals. Family only.

By the way, there have been cases where a patient has been on life support for an incredibly long time and they have come to again on their own. Rare, I admit... but it does happen.


licenced paramedic
Everyone should have a living will specifying their request for life support or not.
After a self-inflicted gun shot to the chest, my husband was removed from life-support after 11 days. Long enough for us to see if he would "come around"...long enough to know for sure he was brain dead.I think we waited long enough...and I think it's ridiculous to let ANYONE linger on life support more than that...let them go and be with God

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net