Saturday, October 31, 2009

Marijuana induced psychosis/schizophrenia?

About three months ago I experienced a very bad trip on marijuana. It is very hard to explain the feeling but it felt like life was a broken record (everything was repeating) I also felt very disassociated with my self and reality. My body went numb. It felt like a part of me died that night. A number of reasons could have caused my bad trip (enviroment, lighting, I was peer pressured and was worried about being caught) The following month was very hard for me as I experienced depersonalization/derealizatio... most of the day. This slowly went away when I learned more about the condition, started taking cod liver oil, and comfort from my family. I seemed to have recovered fully for the most part for a month. Last weekend I was invited into the same basement i had experienced my trip. Again they were smoking and I really didn't want to be there (I guess I easily fall under peer pressure) Of course I did not smoke but I couldnt help to think about my experience there... --- continued--
Answer:
I assume you live in the united states. Anyway, Weed in other countries is used to help depression. So the weed didn't do that to you. It is a downer, it helps you relax. I smoke a lot, almost everyday. And i get that same cloudy feeling sometimes. It's pretty normal because most people i know get it also ( i myself am 16 btw). If it makes you uncomfortable to be around then dont do it. It can be fun. It reacts different with different people. Different types of weed can make you feel different then another type. I've never heard of weed being connected to schizophrenia. Im a pyschology buff, and i've done several research papers on schizophrenia. So lets just say i know my stuff, not like a pro, but i know what its about. Weed doesn't cause a mental disease. I'd be freggin insane by now if it did. Just chill out. The stuff was probably laced with coke, i bet your heart started racing and you got sweaty huh? Coke and Meth, two things weed gets laced with often, can cause those effects. However, weed is supposed to make you feel "good" and a dreamlike state is what your body does sometimes. Your not mentally sick, and it won't make you mentally sick. I also bet that it was your first time smoking, so now your worried because you don't know what you expierienced is normal or not. Well it is. So chill the heck out and your fine dude.

If you don't wanna smoke though, then stay away from the people you know do it. Like you got invited back to the place, you should've known that thats what they were gonna do. If they're your good friends, then just get up and walk out of the room until they're done. or open a window. Be smart about your decisions in life.

Peer preassure doesn't exsist. It's people trying to be something they're not so they don't get made fun of. You don't want to be the laughing stock of our friends, so you do what they do to fit in. Be your own person dude, don't be what everyone else in life wants you to be. If you continue to be everyones lil b**ch then you won't get far in life, I know thats a bit harsh, but its the truth. Make your own descions and live for yourself not everyone else.
What happened to you before is a wake-up call and a warning not to do this again. Please take better care of yourself; face your life without mind-bending drugs.
Don't destroy your life with drug abuse.
Similar findings from other teams also highlight the link between THC dose and the risk of schizophrenia-like symptoms, conference organizer Professor Robin Murray said.

“It’s no longer a contentious issue. The expert community, by and large, accepts that cannabis contributes to the onset of psychotic symptoms in general and the severe form of psychosis, schizophrenia,” he said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18397348/...
you must have smoked some laced weed. it is not supposed to make you feel like that. it is supposed to make you relaxed, play your xbox 360, and eat a taco bell mexican pizza with a large brisk raspberry tea.
All that happened was you had a panic attack. I used to get them all of the time. They are due to stress and nothing specific will trigger them. But weed will. I had panic attacks for 8 years and they just stopped. I also smoke weed every day have done all of the research. It is all in your head. at the only other possibility is you could be allergic to weed, but the feeling would wear off by the next day. soooo I think it all in your head. Get over it
I empathize with everything you have wrote, and wrote so very well. I don't have anything I could add as an answer except that I have probably learned more from your question, so take this just as a comment.

Thanks for the honesty, it helps recovering people like myself.
Good question.

I've heard that hallucinagenic drugs like LSD can sort of trigger psychosis (the "trip" is sort of like psychosis anyway) in people who have schizophrenia or who have the ticking time bomb of schizophrenia that has not surfaced yet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/hallucinoge...

BUT -- marijuana didn't trigger schizophrenia for you the way you mean it if I understand your question accurately. If you heard voices, saw things that weren't there, believed irrational things (like aliens were after you, etc.) then you might have been experiencing psychosis. But de-realization and depersonalization alone don't define psychosis. In fact, depersonalization is commonly associated with mood disorders.

I have had your exact experience, twice. I couldn't stop thinking about every single negative or embarrassing I've ever experienced. It lasted a few days and gradually went away. But I swore never to do pot again or to even be around when other people were doing it. Not a moral judgement, I just know I personally can't handle it.

I should say that I have pretty serious Depression, and maybe the drug triggered something. Who knows what the chemicals in our brains are doing or interacting with at any given time?

I hope this helps. If your bad feelings keep up, please see a doc about a mood disorder, possibly depression, ok?

Good luck!
I had a similar experience with weed and other drugs. I think the weed was def. laced with something. when i was 14 i smoked sime weed and it was laced with formaldehyde the stuff that moticians embalm deap people with. That is the only time weed ever did it to me. It could be a sign that you aren't meant to be a druggie. I mean in retrospect that is the way i look at it iam not a druggie. i hope you feel better soon and NEVER do this again.
Just so you know... A recent British study has linked marijuana use ( moderate to chronic) to adult onset schizophrenia. It appears that in 85% of the cases studied of adult onset schizophrenia marijuana may have been a contributing factor to the psychotic incidents.
Jennifer F is right. It sounds like you had a panic attack.

DO NOT do something in an attempt to "fit in" or "seem cool". Do not do something just because your friends are doing it. And DO NOT do marijuana if you do not feel 100% uncomfortable about using it!

Marijuana can cause paranoia. And if you are already worried or anxious before you use it, it will make you feel a LOT worse. But it sounds like your own brain sent you on a bad trip (since you had another anxiety attack without smoking.

You need to tell your friends that you feel really uncomfortable and worried being around them while they are smoking marijuana. Either you shouldn't go over to where they smoke, or you should try to reassure yourself that there is no reason to panic when you are there.

To me, it sounds like you should not hang out with your friends while they are using.
You really hav a lot to say about this, but I don't. It's simple: It's you. Not everyone is able to smoke weed and make it a positive experience. Everyones' brain is as different as a fingerprint. Some people have pre-existing mental conditions, you are one of those. It's not such a bad thing, unless triggered by THC. I have never had an experience like that, neither has anyone I know that has smoked it.
So don't smoke it, peer pressure shows weakness, so paranoia would go with that. But it does show that marijuana alone could cause such conditions. I'm sure you're not the only one, it's the same concept as "Happy Dunks" or "Angry Drunks", everyones brain reacts differently to different substances. I would seek mental help if it continues at such a pace. Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net