Saturday, October 31, 2009

Losing employment due to depression?

over the years...i was diagnosed with depression and anxiety in 2000...i have had several jobs...some in food industry..but many more in my profession..a CNA ..i've noticed a pattern now...i start my jobs very excited..and usually 3-5 months later i am very depressed..just one step away from suicide...what i call being in 'crisis'...so..in short..i've lost a lot of jobs because of depression..i've been taking meds consistantly for 4 yrs now..before that was sometimes on..sometimes off...neither have made a difference..i still get depressed...i don't have the will or energy to go to work..start calling in...and i am fired..or i just quit going...has anyone else experienced this?.i'm looking for employment now again..and it is something that is asked over and over in interviews...i can tell that i have learned things to cope..but i can't honestly say that i won't have problems ...and that it won't affect my job attendence...i'm not sure how to win over an employer now...to get a job..
Answer:
i understand where you're coming from, i went thru periods of depression where i had a lot of trouble completing work and just generally had no energy and did not work as hard as i could have, and have been laid off or just stuck where i was because i had no motivation. i think this is just something you'll have to talk to your therapist about, until you get help for the depression nothing will change. i don't know what to suggest since you say you've been on meds, except possibly try different ones, certain ones don't work for certain people.

good luck!
I've had the same problem with recurrent depression. I learned a few trades. I would get disillusioned having to work for other people, so I started my own business and I work for myself. I take work as it comes and I can handle clients great. Not having to deal with a boss is very good for my anxiety levels and I am productive.
it sounds as though on a good day you can conquer the world-and as time goes on, your depression takes over.
you need to find the source of where the depression is coming from.

there are many diseases out there that can cause depresson. since your a CNA it might be wise to have a test for hepatitis c which is common amongst those who take care of folks where blood to blood occurance can happen.

hcv is a liver disease and goes un noticed for many because their alt and ast levels aren't always elevated. my suggestion is to seek the advice of a doctor to rule out hcv antibodies.

hcv does pass the blood brain barrier. it can create a wide variety of symptoms, including depression and brain fog-which make it hard on a bad day to remember the things you've done for 6 months.

if this sounds like you, seek the professional help of an infectious diesease doctor. maybe then they will send you to a gastrointerologist.

i know where your coming from-i spent more time depressed than working growing up. makes it hard to get a job and to keep one.

i always was blamed for using drugs thats how bad i had it.

good luck!
Honestly, you should do internet work. Set up a site about something your passionate about, put some google adds on there and get sponcered. My ex boyfriends parents are earning millions a year now from working on the internet. They started with nothing, they had to scrape together money to afford a computer and internet connection and now two years later they are living in a big house and can buy whatever they want when they want.

And advantage of this is that you dont have to do much, depression makes you pretty damn weak, as you have found out, and when you site is up and running you dont even really have to work everyday, so they days you feel like dying and wanna stay in bed, you can just do it. You donthave to deal with people or employers and its a pretty stress free job.
Also, by doing it about somthing your passionate about you can put focous onto your passion rather then your sadness.
I lost a great job at U of Chicago in 2001 after 17 years. I am now on long term disability and they are still paying me. It's horrible, not to be able to function. Now U of C is trying to get me social security disability benefits but I am way too young and don't really want it to be that way. All I know is that you need to see your doctor and have some type of medication to help you. That doesn't always work either but will help. I wish you the best of luck and feel your pain.
I have a similar problem. Because of the situation I've been in, and continue to exist in, whenever I look for a job I start the day feeling excited, but the second I am about to enter a business to put in an application I start feeling as if I am about to vomit. I know I don't present myself in the perky way that is attractive to employers. However I am opposite in the way that once I am working at a job, I love it. To me it's the "looking for a job" whereas you're more depressed with "keeping the job". I think my feelings come from not feeling worthy of anyone's time. Have you considered why you become depressed? Is it because the job cuts into other areas in your life? Or is the job unfulfilling? Although in extreme cases of depression I completely agree with taking meds to help out--after all your brain is just like any other part of your body and sometimes it needs a little help whenever it's not working as you need it to. In that sense taking meds for depression is the same as taking meds for allergies. All that said, you can't just take the meds without supplementing with therapy. I know it is a little weird at first but after a while you can open up to a therapist about what's going on in your life. If you work with a therapist 9 times out of 10 you'll help him/her discover better solutions for your problem or even let him/her better diagnose the situation to see where you need to go from there--and to see whether or not the meds are working for you. Best wishes in this and I really hope you've got some encouragement at home, because sometimes that can make a world of difference! :)
Consider applying for disability at the Social Security office. The easy paper work is at your local social security building. And a representive will see you the same day to help you with questions on how to fill out the form. You can also look on line. Your disability would be depression and you would get supporting documentation from your psychologist and psychiatrist. Once you are on disability you will receive monthly payments to help you get by. Then, you can go to a provider such as a local department of vocational rehabilitation (DVR). There professionals can help you (at no cost to you on how to find a better fit for you at work. For example: what type of environment is best for you, what type work is best for you, etc. While receiving money, continuing counseling and working with a professional work provider a great deal of stress is reduced and you have the ability to change from depression, to rest, to work if rentering the workforce is best for you.
Well technically, that would fall under discrimination. Also, while you are out of work, you could try applying for disability... I think you would qualify with your history.

Also, I'm not sure, but being a CNA, could you work at a mental health facility, they would be much more understanding of the depression and would more than likely work with you. Also... find out about Bipolar Disorder... I have it and what you said about the swinging may fit the symptoms... Just a thought. Good luck.
I know EXACTLY how you are feeling. I have suffered from depression since my early 20's..now 31. Meds sometimes help for a little while but mostly I just suffer. I have somehow managed to hang on to my job over the years.. I don't know how I've done it really though. Most of the time it is ALL I can do to get out of bed and get a shower but I make myself because I have to work. I have had to call in alot over the years though.
If you're going to be honest and tell your employer the truth then most likely they won't hire you. It sounds cruel but ya know that's just the way it is. If you really need a job then I hate to say it but I would withhold that info. They are not allowed to ask you health questions in an interview (That is illegal)...Good luck on job hunting and with your depression.
Im not sure if you have been dealing with one doctor during this whole time and if so then I would reccomend going to talk to someone different .DONT settle on what one doctor tells you .. There are certain Doctors that specialize in certain dissorders and have more experience in treating it(check online) . I know you said that you have been off and on meds for 4 yrs .. there are soo many kinds out there now and not everyone is gonna be for you . . You might have to try a few before you find one that works with your chemistry . But you have to be taking them as your supposed to or they wont work .. and most important know that medication isnt always a cure all .. usually meds and counseling are the best combination together...This way you have someone to help you get back to normal. They can reccomend books, habits, lifestyle changes etc. Also they have support groups all over the USA where people get together and talk about what there experiencing and share what has worked for them . If this is effecting your life as you say then you have to be proactive about not giving up and exploring all options that are out there... Things will get better ..
See the anxiety and depression treatments/resources at http://www.ezy-build.net.nz/~shaneris... on pages 6 %26 2. In your position, I would slowly taper off the medications, immediately begin the exercise, relaxation techniques, occupational therapy, dietary modification and supplements, approach the county/local mental health agency for counselling, and consider trying the herbal remedies when off the prescription medications.
Oh sweetie.. first let me start off by saying you aren't alone, no matter how alone you feel.

I've been suffering from depression/ intense suicidal feelings since I was 12 (am 27 now). Have tried like 9 or so different meds, and nothing has helped. I try different ones on and off, and have been in counseling on and off too. I've never lost a job because of it. My grades have suffered considerably, especially in college. I never told my folks about it, and didn't really have any friends in school that knew about the depression. It wasn't until college that I started to get treatment for it. My grad school years usually consisted of me sleeping and crying, and it was so hard to get myself up to go to work/class. I knew if I was fired, I wouldn't be able to tell my parents (who still don't know about the depression). Friends are hard to come by, because they don't see how someone can be so depressed for so long, they think I am too much work/stress to put up with, they get mad because they think I am not good enough Christian (because if I'm still feeling depressed, then I must not believe in God enough).

I do know there are some people who have a chemical imbalance, and will need meds for the rest of their life. Just as a diabetic needs insulin. Have you tried talking to a psychiatrist, to figure a treatment best for you? And have a complete blood/physical work up? They could also work with you to figure out the best way to approach the job situation.

If you ever need someone to talk to, email me, ok? I'm a good listener and won't judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net