Sunday, October 25, 2009

Lamictal?? I have severe depression and severe anxiety - I was?

just reading the pharmaceutical pamphlet that comes with it and it says it has a tendency to worsen depresssion, anxiety and suicidal thoughts (which all have happened to me)..Why did my nurse practitioner prescribe it, knowing I had those symptoms? (I can't stand having a nurse pracitioner, she doesn't know what she's doing, writes me prescriptions and forgets to put my name on them - I am obviously in serious distress but cannot get a psychiatrist to see me!)
Answer:
Get in her face and tell her how you feel! It's your health and you have rights. If you don't like her and can't see the psych, get an appt. to see someone else. There's plenty of docs out there you don't have to stay with one you don't like. You aren't doing yourself any favors by staying with someone who you can't see and just sets you up with a nurse practitioner who can't even remember to put your name on a script. It is in your best interest to take charge of your health, ask friends or family for a reference and if they can't help call your insurance company for a referal, last stop.use the yellow pages!! Sheeba
Um, duh, see someone else, fool!
There are many medications on the market. My son could not tolerate Lamictal and broke out in a life threatening rash. Get a Dr. to try something else. I have also been on ones that made me more depressed such as Lexapro. Keep trying. You may be very sensitive to medications as I am and perhaps some of the older antidepressants might work. I didn't have as many problems with those.
I've take Lamictal, and while it initially made me more depressed, after a little while it made me more hyper. Lamictal works best when combined with another medication...as for the rash, that is a VERY VERY VERY rare reaction. It is good to use caution though.
If you still feel like this is not helping you (and I don't think you can really determine that until you've taken it for a month), do ask about other medications. there are many things out there that can help.
Some of them have as many bad side effects as Lamictal, so stay informed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net